Saturday, May 14, 2016






The Compass Rose Paintings

The Compass Rose is the Flagship Restaurant aboard the newest and most luxurious cruise ship in the world, the Regent Seven Seas - Explorer. The ship sets sail on its maiden voyage from Rome to Venice and all points Mediterranean this coming August, 2016.

I was fortunate enough to be the only painter to receive the Compass Rose commission of eight paintings from the CEO of Regent Seven Seas, Mr. Frank Del Rio, to grace this elegant space.


They are all acrylic/canvas/panel.


Mirage 28" x 62"


                            Dune   28" x 47"


                                     Glacier   28" x 39"


                             Beluga   28" x 47"


                                      Oasis   28" x 39"


                                                   Isle   28" x 28"

                                                   Reef  28" x 28"

                                                   Surf  28" x 28"


                                                              Changes

The last four paintings above, Oasis, Isle, Reef and Surf, were not the original four I painted for this commission.  Mr. Del Rio, felt that the original paintings (below) were a bit too off-color, too bright for the decor, as I understood it, and wondered if they might be changed or painted over in some way. And since I could see how he might feel that way, I chose to paint four new paintings to move closer to his vision of the elegant restaurant space.

Actually I love the original four, as I do the others; in fact, I'm quite proud of the entire group and feel honored to have been given this opportunity. And it was important to me to work with all of the people involved, collaboratively, in order to help create the sophisticated Compass Rose ambience that was at the basis of Mr. Del Rio's vision.

When my son, Ian, saw Firdbird, he commented on Facebook that his father was "experiencing a rapture."

                             Firebird 28" x 39"

And, indeed, I did.  Although I had not understood that while in the full throes of creation. My rapture lasted three months. Here are the others:

                                                   Flash 28" x 28"

                                                   Aspen 28" x 28"

                                                   Mesa 28" x 28"

You can view them all larger on my web site: WWW.DonWestFineArt.com 

Check out the ship at this link:
http://www.rssc.com/ships/seven_seas_explorer/cuisine/default.aspx#Content

No comments:

Post a Comment